Ashton Eaton

Latest post: Hannu, Mar 13, 2010
Viewed 1219 times
Posted: Feb 01, 2010
Ashton Eaton sets USA Collegiate record with 6256 points! Eaton is the same size as Roman Sebrle, the world record-holder with 9026 points, but Eaton is faster than Sebrle and he is only 22 year old

This talented guy is a 9000 points nominee :B
Posted: Feb 02, 2010
Good observation, However I see that he is going to have to improve his throwing events very dramtically over the next couple of years in order to reach 9000.

I am very excited about what he can do, Eaton seems to be able t stay healthy and can recover fomr doing 3 to 4 decathlons a year which is also similar to sebrle
Posted: Feb 04, 2010
true - his results lately have been quite astonishing.

but I don't actually think he's going to be a candidate for the 9000 points. Of course he's really fast and has great results in all his jumps. But as B.J. pointed out his throwing events are just too bad to be seriously considered for the 9000 points. I didn't look it up but I'm pretty sure Sebrle at that age had much better throws, especially in the javelin.

Nevertheless I'd love to be surprised - if he stays healthy (which he has succeeded to to in the last years) he's definitely another US athlete that has to be considered for medals.

anyway - a little off-topic but talking about 9000 points: do you think Bryan Clay is going to try and beat Sebrle's score this year (without any real big competition like olympics or WC for him)? And what are his chances of succeeding?
Posted: Feb 07, 2010
As with Ashton Eaton, I'm surprised he made such a good score at heptathlon so quickly. Completely agree with that the throwing events could be improved.

Most probably we'll see him in competition this summer several times, then we can also see the progress of all events.

----------

With regards to world record, it's very nice to think about this will be beaten. Once the number, 9000 points, was so magic, I guess there are many of us out there thinking will 9100 points be collected soon? Putting together individual records there are several decathletes already at this level (or even more), and even more young talents to meet this milestone soon.

I believe there was an interview with Bryan Clay at early 2009 where he clearly announced that as there were no major global events at 2010 in athletics (world cc and olympics), he'd take new world record attempt in decathlon into a serious consideration.

I was not currently able to locate an event Clay was listed, but why not even to expect great news early this season? Of course it would be great when Clay would beat the record in Götzis at the end of May
Posted: Feb 08, 2010
Ashton Eaton did a world record in a group of events (the running for heptathlon): 2875 points, he broke the previous world record from Frank Müller. Ashton Eaton became last year also the world record holder for the running events in decathlon, see statistics here - http://www.decathlon2000.com/eng/statistics.php/?a...

Top 5 list running events, heptathlon:

1)Ashton Eaton

2875/ 6,78/7,86/ 2.38,02 6256/2010

2)Frank Müller

2831/ 6,83/7,96/ 2.38,06 6158/1992

3)Jan Podebradsky

2831/ 6,99/7,96/ 2.32,99 5722/1995

4)Bryan Clay

2822/ 6,65/7,77/ 2.49,41 6365/2004

5)Mustafa Abdur-Rahim

2821/ 6,94/7,92/ 2.36,30 5883/2008
Posted: Feb 18, 2010
i think that clay has announced his assault on the world record this year either at gotzis or talence.

i do believe there is also talk from trey hardee of having an assault on 9000.

It is going to be a great year if these two can stay healthy and push each other to the limit so they have to run the 1500 against each other.

one more thing clay wil have to shake off a little rust from not competing for so long
Posted: Feb 19, 2010
oh that would be really amazing if Clay and Hardee both went for a 9.000 score. I can actually imagine both to be able to do it. Though like you said Clay has been out of competition for a year. And Hardee already had a really good decathlon last year in Berlin with close to 8.800 points, so one will have to see if he still has the potential to improve (probably the high jump, 400m, discus and of course 1.500m could be a little better)

So I hope both of them will compete in Götzis this year and go for it, which could already be their top competition, as there's no global championships coming up!
Posted: Mar 13, 2010
Latest news from Randal Sport Complex:

http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfield/index.ssf/...

To beat the world record 6476p (Dan O'Brien, 1993, Toronto), Eaton has to run around 2.34 (4 seconds faster his best time so far).

The 1000m race should start in about 15 minutes.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010
Yeaaaaaa! New World Record!! 6499p! Unbelievable!

Your rights:
Viewing: allowed
Posting: denied (allowed for registered users only)