Fairness of the Scoring Tables

Latest post: Richard Crawford, Mar 06, 2022
Posted: Mar 01, 2021
There are several topics already in this subforum (for example, see Gunther Sonnemann's 2018 posting about Kevin Mayer or Janek Salmistu's 2016 posting about the 538 article). Since I have a large dataset (introduced in my posting several days ago), several years ago I used it to take look at the question of the tables' fairness for myself.

The result is an unpublished article. The main conclusion is that some events do seem to be rewarded more than others, but not necessarily the ones you might expect.

If anyone is interested in seeing the article, send me an email at decarcc@gmail.com and I'll be glad to send you a copy.
IP: 23.241.1...
Posted: Oct 01, 2021
Hi Richard !

Ein Sportkamerad hat mir Deine Ausarbeitungen gezeigt.
Ich bin in einer Altersklasse im Zehnkampf aktiv und erlebe immer wieder, dass ich gegenüber einem Konkurrenten in 7 Disziplinen besser bin als er, aber trotzdem im Endergebnis hinterihm liege.
Kann das fair sein ?
Du zeigst in den verschiedenen Leistungsgruppen, wo eine Disziplin über dem Durchschnitt bewertet wird, und wo unterbewertet.
Ich nenne das Falschbewertungen.
Was meinst Du, können solche Falschbewertungen so groß sein, das es wie in meinem Fall so kommtß
Danke , Lothar.
IP: 94.223.1...
Posted: Oct 03, 2021
ich kann da ein ähnliches Beispiel bringen.
Bei der WM 2007 in Osaka gewann R.Sebrle vor dem Canadier Smith.
Dabei war Smith in 5 Disziplinen besser als Sebrle , 3 mal waren die Leistungen sehr ähnlich und nur 2 mal war Sebrle besser ( Hochsprung und Speerwerfen )
Nun gab es die Platzwertung nur im 19.Jahrhundert, sie wäre mit 11 zu 15 für Smith ausgegangen. Aber sie ist ein Hinweis !
Heute haben wir die IAAF-Wertung von 1985, die aber in einigen Disziplinen große Fehlbewertungen hat.
So hat Sebrle den WM-Titel in Osaka gewonnen, weil er vor allem für seine wesentlich bessere Weite im Speerwurf grob überbewertet wurde.
Und gleichzeitig Smith für seine 53 m zu wenig Punkte bekam.
( genau nachzulesen in :
http://www.leichtathletikimwandelmitnbl-site.de
unter II/"/N.2

So ist das im Moment mit der IAAF-Tabelle.
IP: 178.0.4...
Posted: Mar 06, 2022
Hi Lother and Gunther,

Thanky you for reading and commenting on my article. I found it interesting that you both presented examples of why the fairness of the scoring tables is still questioned, although that may not have been the reason for your comments.

As long as we have only qualitative definitions of "fairness", we are limited to exchanging opinions, with no way to determine if our opinions are valid. This can be great fun over a beer or two, but enjoyable as that is, iit is not very helpful. Instead, I proposed a quantitative definition of "fairness", applied it to my dataset, and analyzed the results (which were not what I expected).

Other definitions of "fairness" are possible, of course; I'd like to hear about them.

Regards,

Richard
IP: 76.91.6...

Your rights:
Viewing: allowed
Posting: denied (allowed for registered users only)