FANTASY DECATHLON CHALLENGE

Latest post: Janek Salmistu, May 10, 2010
Viewed 3540 times
Posted: Apr 28, 2010
Ok - here's my idea for a fantasy decathlon game. We call it fantasy decathlon challenge - we have 6 to 10 participants. The deadline to sign up is April 30th; we start draft on May 1st by either posting on decathlon2000 forum or by email. Each person names his team and chooses 4 decathletes per team (in snake order so whoever drafts last in the first round, drafts first in the second round).

At the end of the season, we will have our decathlete's 5 best performances of the year (kinda like the US-Germany Thorpe Cup rules). We will count a minimum of 3 decathletes and limit decathletes to 2 performances so talent will help but you will need depth too.

Each team will get 1 free agent move during the season (however, any prior marks that athlete made prior to you getting them don't count). This will help teams if one of their decathletes gets hurts or is performing very poorly.

The Decathlon 2000 site has everything we need:

Calculator: http://www.decathlon2000.com/eng/10athlon.php/?art...

2010 World List and previous years world lists to help us draft http://www.decathlon2000.com/eng/10athlon.php/?&ar...

And we would post our scores on a forum that we create!

We would complete the draft and start the competition before May 8th. Here's a list of decathons. Of course, if one of our athletes, competes in any decathlon, their points count. I propose that we only count a performance if the athlete completes the decathlon. We've only had 1 good decathlon performance this year (Eaton) and few other solid ones but I propose we start from May 8th forward. Those athletes should all compete 1-3 times more this year anyway.

1. 08-09 May: Multistars in Desenzano del Garda, Italy

2. 29-30 May: Hypobank in Gotzis, Austria

3. 15-16 June: TNT-Fortuna in Kladno, Czech Republic

4. 19-20 June: Erdgas Mehrkampf in Ratingen, Germany

5. 23-24 June: US Championship in Des Moines, USA

6. 26-27 June: European Cup in Hengelo, Netherlands; Ribeira Brava, Portugal; and Tallinn, Estonia

7. 28-29 July: European Championship in Barcelona, Spain

8. Late July: African Championship in Nairobi, Kenya

9. 11-12 September: Decastar in Talence, France

10. Late September: Oceania Championship in Cairns, Australia

11. Early October: Commonwealth Games in New Dehli, India

12. Late November: Asian Games in Guangzhou, China

I feel this could not only be fun but help make this event more popular. I wanna keep it simple for this year but if it's fun, then next year we can add indoor heptathlon and/or women's heptathlon. If we get more than 10 people, we will start another league. Email me that you want to play: parkerclay@hotmail.com.
Hello, fantasy decathlon challenge looks like a good idea. I want to sign up. Thanks for such game ! What can I do more?

Pierre

Hello!

Does it mean, that I have to be online at the right time (drafting)? It`s complicated, but if I can I will participate.

So I would like to register, but it can be forfeited when the day comes.
Email me that you want to play: parkerclay@hotmail.com

We will do a draft via email. That's why I need your email address. I will give everyone a day's notice and then we will start. You will need to check your email several times a day for 3-4 days until we complete draft. We will also need to do some kind of drawing to see who goes first, second, etc.

Here are the first 10 that emailed to compete in the Fantasy Decathlon Challenge. Janek did a random draw for the draft order and here it is:

Jessica Bullenkamp

Rob Worsham

Clay Parker

Janek Salmistu

Phil Vassallo

Viesturs Karlivans

Mart Roosna

Dale Harder

Mike Keller

Jesse Mitchell

For Round 2, Jesse will start and we will go back up. So Jesse, you pick 2 when we get to you then Jessica will pick 2 (Rounds 2 and 3) when the order gets back up to her.

To ensure, the draft doesn't last over a week - there will be a 12 hour time limit so be sure and check your email often over the next few day. If that person doesn't submit a pick in that allotted time, the highest remaining decathlete (based on the 2009 world list) will automatically be given to them. This will ensure that they get someone decent. Since we are on different continents, this might be a little challenging so please check your email often over the next few days!! Since this is the first pick, the first deadline won't start until noon CST Saturday (which is 20 hours from now!)

If anyone has a suggestion for injuries, please advise. Also, if you have anything, you want to share with the group or any questions to ask, you are welcome to submit them. Everyone is welcome to submit a team name also.

Someone please try to post picks here on the forum but, most importantly, EMAIL REPLY TO ALL so everyone will see your picks.
Posted: Apr 29, 2010
Clay, I'm in of course. Send me the details when you're ready for me to pick:C
Posted: Apr 29, 2010
i work with people that live for football, baseball, nascar, and that is not enough. they have to have fantasy sports too. i love decathlon and hate to see it dragged down to this level. i must register my disgust.
Posted: May 10, 2010
Final draft:

1. Jessica: Bryan Clay

2. Rob: Trey Hardee

3. Clay: Ashton Eaton

4. Janek: Leonel Suarez

5. Phil: Yordani Garcia

6. Viesturs: Olexiy Kasyanov

7. Mart: Tom Pappas

8. Dale: Maurice Smith

9. Mike: Jake Arnold

10. Jesse: Aleksandr Pogorelov

11. Jesse: Michael Schrader

12. Mike: Aleksei Sysoyev

13. Dale: Andrei Krauchanka

14. Mart: Mikk Pahapill

15. Viesturs: Aleksei Drozdov

16. Phil: Yunior Diaz

17. Janek: Pascal Behrenbruch

18. Clay: Vasiliy Kharlamov

19. Rob: Roman Sebrle

20. Jessica: Nicklas Wiberg

21. Jessica: Romain Barras

22. Rob: Norman Müller

23. Clay: Arthur Abele

24. Janek: Dmitri Karpov

25. Phil: Eelco Sintnicolaas

26. Viesturs: Willem Coertzen

27. Mart: Larbi Bouraada

28. Dale: Andre Niklaus

29. Mike: Andres Raja

30. Jesse: Jacob Minah

31. Jesse: Massimo Bertocchi

32. Mike: Eugene Martineau

33. Dale: Hans van Alphen

34. Mart: Mateo Sossah

35. Viesturs: Jan Felix Knobel

36. Phil: Mortiz Cleve

37. Janek: Roland Schwarzl

38. Clay: Dominik Distelberger

39. Rob: Mikalai Shubianok

40. Jessica: Brent Newdick

The challenge began the weekend of May 8th with Ashton Eaton competiting in the Pac-10 Championships and several decathletes competiting in the Multistars in Desenzano del Garda, Italy.

Fantasy decathlon challenge page on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=122164421143689

Your rights:
Viewing: allowed
Posting: denied (allowed for registered users only)