Problems of Decathlon

Latest post: Hannu, Sep 28, 2009
Viewed 5341 times
Posted: Sep 27, 2009
I would like to talk about something that's been on my mind actually since the Berlin WC in august.

During the broadcasts on German television the reporters were quite often complaining about the way the decathlon is presented at World Championships or Olympic Games:

- The big starter field causes events like the high jump to take a long time. This is bad for both athletes, spectators, TV stations and organizers.

- During the noon sessions (e.g. the discus throw pole vault on day 2) there's usually nothing else going on in the stadium. Quite a lot of people leave for lunch, so the decathletes are left with only few people watching. And for those left behind discus throw is maybe not the most exciting thing to watch…

- After the 1500 m race it usually takes quite some time to get the times and the final scores. For a couple of minutes no one really knows for sure who has won the medals. Some people lean towards favoring the "Gundersen method" - athletes starting with head starts according to their point differences. So the first one to arrive at the finish line will be the winner overall and so on.

Personally I can understand some of these complaints (though for me it would not make any sense to introduce the Gundersen method e.g. and I don't mind watching nothing but discus throw for an hour or so). I would love to see more people watching and understanding decathlon (from my experience many people don't have any idea what it's actually about).

And I really have to say that the Berlin spectators were great - so many people stayed behind really late at night to watch the 400m / 1500m of the decathlon. But I think that's something special about the German track&field fans, you don't find that everywhere.

Do you think it's possible to change something about a decathlon competition to make it more attractive for a larger crowd - not just the decathlon fans?

What are your opinions on that?
Posted: Sep 28, 2009
Hi Jessica,

Nice topic!

Another problem decathlon often suffers are:

1) Too little time to recover between two events (especially when there's lots of participants like it was, in Berlin this year; maybe you even remember Roman Sebrle before 1500m - he was really angry because of too little time for to recover, so the result at final event was potentially worse than otherwise)

2) Time delays due to skill level at some events, for example, pole vault. Some of the decathletes like to start at heights 3.80, while some of them like to start at 5.00 (well, no decathletes currently using this as the first attempt, currently). This means while all the decathletes come from warm-up area to stadium at the same time, some of them may actually start for example, two hours later. This time could be used more effectively - so who jumps 4.50 arrives earlier and leavers earlier. Who jumps 5.20 arrives later and leaves later. This gives decathletes plan their time better and plan meals, warm-ups and other processes better.

As with other issues you mentioned, I completely agree - decathlon should need more attention. Athletes often get energy from people watching the show and having, for example, 50,000 people energizing you with their claps and voices, is definitely a pure power source psychologically.

Also, as decathlon is TEN events, not ONE, they literally need to do ten times more work to be good at all events and so they have a risk to fail ten times more than a specialized athlete. Considering all this - completing a decathlon is just so so big honor; this could also probably be the reason why decathletes are sometimes called the kings of athletics. If they're already named this way, why not to pay more attention to the event itself? Maybe to add small intro about decathlon to every ticket a visitor buys. This way people can also plan their time better and manage to stay at the stadium to energize athletes at their hard way to the end of each day. The small booklet could also explain the "what's-it-all-about-the-points" easily. When people understand it, they are more interested in watching the event.

In general, I think the organizers of the athletic events meet that kind of topics daily (or annually) - I think one of the solutions would definitely be, to allowing more flexible time management for decathletes - even when it is as important event as world championships or olympic games. When people also appreciate the event more, this together with more flexible time organizing, could result to new high scores at decathlon so it is a win-win-win situation

Your rights:
Viewing: allowed
Posting: denied (allowed for registered users only)