Active Duty Military Training

Latest post: George Patterson, May 22, 2012
Viewed 3940 times
Posted: Apr 15, 2011
Greetings all!

I'm new to this forum, and am looking for some advice. I've been away from the decathlon (and track in general) for the past 10 years, and am starting to get back into it. I'm currently on active duty in the US Army. I'm 32 years old, but still have a fair degree of power and speed. I'm not looking to break any records, but enjoy the sport, and will continue to compete as long as possible. My goal in the next couple years is to compete at the World Military T&F Championships. I have trained extensively with kettlebells for the last few years.

Being on active duty has benefits, but it also has drawbacks. First off, I'm going to have to find a coach, or at least someone who might be able to provide some occasional guidance. Second, I'll be limited on time and equipment (most Army posts are not fully equipped with high jump, pole vault pits, hurdles, etc) so I'll really have to focus on developing what I can, and getting the technical work in where I can. I have trowing impliments, and will be able to work those.

What thoughts does everyone have for training high jump, pole vault, and hurdles? Or at least training that will have logical carry-over to those events. I appreciate any thoughts. Also, if there are any members in or near Ft. Drum, NY, please let me know!

Thomas
IP: 143.85.1...
Posted: May 22, 2012
Hey Tom,

Good to see you are back running. You're close to doing Masters track too. I see so many points in the running events so being in shape is a must. I don't remember your hurdling or high jumping, but for me as a Masters decathlete, both events are second nature and they come back pretty quickly and I don't spend too much time on them due to availabilit. Maybe a local high school may have their equipment out. Pole vault is another matter due to the high risk ... many high school coaches have now bought their own PV pit for personal coaching..again check with the area high schools and ask around.

Good luck,

George
IP: 24.113.2...

Your rights:
Viewing: allowed
Posting: denied (allowed for registered users only)