Re-starting Training

Latest post: ecyang, July 08, 2007
Viewed 4930 times
Posted: July 07, 2007
I'm a mediocre washed up decathlete who has been surprised by my training performances lately (after 6 years of time off the dec). I was an all-american decathlete in University, with solid PRs of 11.44; 6.60; 13.50; 1.88; 50.45; 15.33; 37.66; 4.35; 58.51; 4:23.1

Quit because I had 2 straight years with broken tibia and never recovered. Have been training again over the past year and have dropped back to lean enough condition (91kg) to start training again. Have surprised myself with strong #s on lifts (135Kg Bench, 130Kg Clean) and running (1600m at 4:37), jumping (HJ - 1.84) and throwing (Shot - 13.50) with zero event specific training. Am trying to get back in shape (drop 5 more kg) and get my speed in shape by next spring (speed is definitely off - 11.9 100m right now).

Reason I'm wanting to get in shape is I will be temporarily relocating to Saudi Arabia from August to March. Will be giving up golf and beer for that many months, and want to see if I can get into 7300 pt shape. Want to know if anyone knows of coaches or decathletes based in Saudi Arabia. Or at the very least a kick-ass training regime to get me back to fighting shape.
Posted: July 07, 2007
HA! Norquist! It's Tim Johnson from APU, Bryan and Jesse's friend, did the doc in Athens.

Anyway, no advice on the training, but Jesse gives me updates on your adventures, it's good to hear you're doing well.

Tim
Posted: July 08, 2007
Matt,

My father was C.K. Yang, he just passed away last January from a stroke. I grew up watching him coach and ran track myself. I would say keep up with your weight training, If you were an ALL American then you are a talented athelete and should know the basics. My father was asked to coach in Saudi in 1973, he coached the South Korean National Track and Field Team instead. If you can't find a coach here is a good lead;

World Association of Olympic Winners

25 Panepistimiou St 64

Athens, Greece

Tel 01 3238843

They know all of the Olympic Medal winners, my father was on their Executive Board. They could help you find someone in Saudi.

Best Regards,

Cedric Yang

Your rights:
Viewing: allowed
Posting: denied (allowed for registered users only)