young decathlete seeking advise

Latest post: wermouth, Feb 01, 2012
Viewed 2873 times
Posted: Sep 11, 2010
hello im antonio ferguson age 16.i am 6'2 and weight 164 lbs. i am a junior at orange park high school and a member of the track team i run the 800m ( 2:01) high jump ( 62) 400m ( 53) i have pole vaulted in the past (10 ft) and long jumped ( in middle school dont remeber best jump). i am strongly considering doing the decathlon in college. how should i get started. do i have potential? if you have any info that could help me get started hit me up.
Posted: Sep 13, 2010
There are a few very important factors to be a Multieventer

1 Determination!!

2 Hard work

you've got a good 800m

good 400m

you are 16 years and you are tall so you've got good physics

what about you sprints 60m? flying 30m?

javelin? discus? shot those info would be usefull

Posted: Sep 25, 2010
THANKS FOR REPLYING and ive never done any of those events so i dont know what my marks/ times are
IP: 184.77.1...
Posted: Sep 25, 2010
You've got a good foundation.

Work on central events:

Hurdles, PV, SP - as these have good carryover to other events (SP to other throws, Hurdles to 100m and LJ, PV to LJ and HJ).

Find out if Javelin comes naturally or not. Being able to quickly reach 50m in the javelin would be critical to having a good chance at collegiate success.

In looking for college scholarships, you need to get at least 1-2 events at a level that bring in points at Conference or Nationals in your division. That makes you much more appealing than simply being a well-rounded Multi-Eventer (Coaches would much prefer a raw talent with a couple exceptional events than someone who is a little better than average in everything).

Speed (100m speed) will be one of your most important limiting factors - so I'd spend a preponderance of time working on your acceleration and Maximum Velocity abilities.
IP: 24.148....
Posted: Sep 26, 2010
ok thanx you gave me a lot of info
Posts from the same IP: Tony
Posted: Sep 29, 2010
why don't you do couple of tests on the track
flying 30m
standing long jump
shot 4kg forward and backward those tests would be great to start with
why I sugest you flying 30m is because thats is reflecting on your pure speed not on other other factors which could affect your time in 100m such us: start, drive face, transition, speed endurance, etc etc...
Standing long jump and shot are great power tests with very complex movement those two have big influence on high jump, long jump, javelin result
IP: 82.27.18...
Posted: Nov 08, 2010
Like the Nike commercials say, Just Do it. I mean really, commit to doing it, and then do the following as a minium. 1. you need to learn to hurdle. Write me and I will help you with that. 2. You need to prepare some for the 400 and 1500. Give yourself 6 weeks for this. Run 3 300 twice per week, walk what you run. Run Three days per week, 3 miles, busting your arse the last 1.5 miles. If you have never pole vaulted, get someone to show you how to stiff pole correctly.

As far as potential, you are much better than I was at your age, you are exactly the same size I was and I was running the 400 in only 56, 100 in 11.6 I was a good pole vaulter going 14 feet., and high jumping 6'2 on average, with one 6'4" mark. The field events don't mean squat for where you are right now. You have all the time in the world to learn them. In the short term, you as good or better than I was and two years later I had won the U.S. Junior championships 7,210 with college implements and hurdles, about 7800 with the new lower hurdles and lighter implements they use today. (why did they ever lower those anyway...totally screwed up the record keeping)

So YES, you have more than enough justification to do a decathlon., just be fit enough to not blow the 1500 and 400. Also, the distance is necessary just not to fade on day two. And, if you run a 4:15-4:20 1500 like I used to, it will not matter if you stink in an event or two.

http://www.youreonathletic.com

Gary Bastien
IP: 98.224.2...
Posted: Nov 15, 2010
thank you that gave me a lot of hope thanks for the web link also i will try to gather all the info that i can from it
Posts from the same IP: Tony
Posted: Apr 20, 2011
I have a problem with high jump. I'm 18 years and 177cm height and 71 kg weight. My best is only 165 cm. What can I do to be better and jump higher.
IP: 95.49.2...
Posted: Feb 01, 2012
I think Polish high jumper Kotewicz said that to jump around 2.20m you have to run well to go higher you have to take off
In high jump everything is happening on the ground the rest is just a consequences of your take off and your approach.
I would suggest to focus on basics and at the same time fundamentals of high jump your run-up and simple plyos
http://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=4tINnWbqx6Y
IP: 93.97.7...

Your rights:
Viewing: allowed
Posting: denied (allowed for registered users only)