I'm new here and have couple questions

Latest post: Kosta, July 03, 2008
Viewed 3115 times
Posted: July 01, 2008
first of all i'll intreduce myself so my name is Kosta , i'm 21 years old from israel .

at the moment i'm a high jumper with a PB of 2.15 and thats why i consider to switch to decathlon .

my results :

100m - 11.30

long jump - 7.20

shot put - 11.50 (practice)

high jump - 2.15

400m - 52.50

110h - 15.40

discus throw - 35.00 (practice)

pole vault - DNS (never did)

javelin throw - 45.00

1500m - DNS (never did)

1st question - am i potential? (i can work hard)

2nd question - how many points i need to get into the indoor major competitions?

thanks , kosta.
These marks appear to be guesses, but if they are accurate, you definately have potential. There are a lot of statistics on these pages, so I am sure you have seen that these are great marks for early in a decathlete's career. But the marks aren't the most important thing - it's your desire to do it and put in the work, and no one on this forum but you can answer that.

I would recommend finding a coach for the pole vault and work on that and the throws, and to enter a competition (best of it's a decathlon) with as many of these events as possible, to really see where you are at. Your time should probably be spent 40% just on the pole vault, and most of the rest on the throws. If you ran 15.4 in the hurdles and threw 35 meters in the disc from no training, that is a good sign. The pole vault, and your ability to stay fit and healthy enough in a season and in a competition will be what holds you back from a 6800 first season, which would be a great first season for any decathlete.

2. The IAAF publishes standards for the heptathlon for entry into the world championships - you probably won't get the B standard this year, but it's a good goal. I do not know where you sit in Israel as far as other multi event athletes, but I would assume there are not three elite decathletes, so you would probably be at least third in your country if you hit the B standard. Most of the other major competitions either publish standards or the meet director makes the decision. I would say a good guess as to a safe score that would get you into any competition would be over 4800, but the best thing to do is contact the meet director - I am sure you will find many that will accommodate new athletes. (I am in the 4400-4600 point range, so I hope to find a meeting in Europe next year that I can get into.)
dima , thank you for your help and all the information you give me and you right - we dont have any multi event elite athletes here ...

so when can i see the competitions list? and the standarts that i need to get into them?

and one more rewuest from you - can you post me your results to the hepthatlon? i wanna see if i can get into your range and maybe we will even meet in the meeting that you are planing in europe next year :B

sorry about my broken english my russian is better
Posted: July 03, 2008
well, first, I am NOT an elite athlete, I am in the 4600 point range for the indoor heptathlon (I am weak in the disc and jav, so the indoor meets suit me.) I don't have a competition list, but what I am doing is looking through the 2008 list:

http://www.decathlon2000.com/pdf/2008/rptList7M200...

then finding the meet info on the internet and emailing the event directors. Someone on this forum may better know where to find a list of competitions. Janek or Enn??

I most likely will be in Switzerland in February, maybe France and the UK as well. If so , I'll ask Richard Hunter (also on this forum) about meets in the UK and france he may know of, and I'll try to get a hold of the people who do the meeting in Magglingen, switzerland in February. I have found that most people who put on multi event competitions are very friendly and will let most anyone enter - you'll find that out among multi-event people -- we're a big family. I'll let you know about the meets I am looking into, but for now, just email, find out what meets you want to do , and TRAIN
Posted: July 03, 2008
yeah thanks, i can see that the people here are friendly =) and i will start practice in about 3 weeks , need to rest from long bad season ... i got the desire my friend and hope i could escape any big injures and be ready to compite in a several months maybe even with you :B keep in touch dimitry and good luck!

Your rights:
Viewing: allowed
Posting: denied (allowed for registered users only)