One-Day Decathlon

Latest post: GOUSSET, May 20, 2015
Viewed 2692 times
Posted: Feb 03, 2015
I found mention of this article on the IAAF site and, once contacted, they wrote right back sending a copy (amazing service - thanks, IAAF!). It is a discussion paper about the possibility of moving the dec to a single day format. I definitely support exploring this and would love to hear your opinions on it.

A few years ago I did a dec in training in the course of 2.5hrs. It was not a strong performance (and the 400 to 110h was torture, as expected) but it showed me what was possible.

I later found the article online. Here's the link:
http://219.242.208.2/pub/irdc/docs/201405081100565...

Let me know your thoughts.
IP: 64.229.1...
Posted: Feb 03, 2015
BTW, it's on page 146 of the pdf.
IP: 64.229.1...
Posts from the same IP: Geordie McConnell
Posted: May 20, 2015
Hi Geordie !

In my opinion, one day decathlon can't replace decathlon as we know it since 1912 (the 3 days of Stockholm first olympic was due to the large number of athletes).
It was contested during the American championship til 1931 I think, and at that time, the world best performance were realized (Fat Elkins 1927-1928, Mortensen 1931).
Today, since 2013, int the city of Arles, France, André Martre renews the experience with good athletes, 8000+ (Bastien Auzeil, Jeremy Lelièvre).
As one hour decathlon, one day decathlon is a very good training in the beginning of the season. It allows you to know your real shape and preparation.
But decathlon is a two day competition; Why ? Because, if you run and jump and throw only about a quarter of an hour during 36h of competition, that's to allows you a good recovery between each of them. That allows you to begin a new event as the first one and in your best shape, to be at your best level.
During decades, the decathlon was too criticized by number journalists and observers, because one saw these athletes like "medium in all, good for nothing". We love decathlon because Ashton Eaton can beat the best hurlers or the best jumpers of the world, too.
If your performances in 400m and 110h and 1500m are poor, and the others events middle, because you are exhausted bu the quick decathlon, wher is the fun, wher is the display ?
But I agree to create two new events more (with nationals and WR and international contests) wiche are : one hour and one day décathlon !

If you read french, you can find on my blog this article :
https://decapassion.wordpress.com/2015/04/25/combi...

And excuse me for my broken English
Best regards,
Frédéric
IP: 86.65.1...

Your rights:
Viewing: allowed
Posting: denied (allowed for registered users only)