New version of Decathlon 2000 is coming

1 2 
1-20 / 29
Latest post: Alexey Beregovoy, July 28, 2011
Viewed 12901 times
Posted: Apr 14, 2010
We used to do things as we thought best. But now we would like to ask you, our readers, our fans, what exactly are the topics you would be interested in reading on Decathlon 2000 webpage in the future?

As all ideas are valuable and more than welcome, a new forum has been created where you can post all suggestions, proposals and criticism. Do let us know about your wishes and add comments!

The brand new and better version of the site should be ready in a couple of months.

What exactly are we planning to change?

1. Add more links to our Facebook fanpage

2. Add “recommend to a friend” feature to all news items so that your friends could also get the latest news

3. Enable a tracker which creates a list of articles under “most popular today” or “most read this week”

4. Change the layout and the structure of the site (a long story)

5. Make athletes’ names clickable all through the site, the links leading the reader straight to the athlete’s page

6. Start a neat photo album

7. Upload more videos

8. Add a lot of so far unpublished information, scores, photos and videos

etc

Come to the forum! Together we can make the new Decathlon 2000 a better place for everyone

If you don't know anything about Decathlon 2000 Fanpage in Facebook, you are welcome:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Decathlon-2000/10660...

Dear Janek, you're doing a fantastic job. I'd like to see you come up with some bodyweight records for each of the 10 decathlon events. These would be tough to research but there are a few heavy decathletes as well as a few light ones. How about four record categories: 90kg , 100 kg , 70kg- and 60 kg-? That would be interesting to me.

Russ Hodge was about 225 lbs I think at the peak of his career. He might be pretty high on the list in the 225 category.
I wish this website had an RSS-feed and I could link it into my webpage...
I can only say the same as is allready said: Dear Janek you're doing a fantastic job.
Hi Janek. I join the chorus of compliments. You've done a great job with this site. I hope you can get some return in terms of money from advertising. I personally would not mind to see a banner for an even improved site (I know the time that is behind setting up a website).

I have a couple of suggestions:

- I'd like to see a section for Veterans. There are a lot great results in Veteran competition, that are worthy to be reported, and could be a stimulous for the youngest to continue athletics. Decathlon as a philosophy of life? Why not!

- you mentioned partially... anyway it would be nice to have, if not stored on your site, uploaded on YouTube and linked, video clips of the broadcast decathlete performances. For example I'd like so see what is available in images of the Avylov's decathlon in Munchen '72. Or see again the images of Christian Schenk failing in Rome '87 2.31 () HJ for nothing.

It would be nice also for techniques comparison.

Thanks

Giancarlo

@ oldtimer2

Thank you for you kind words!

Firs of all over 100 kg men's category. I found 5 decathletes - Milton Campbell (100 kg), Russell Hodge (102 kg), Thorsten Dauth (102 kg), Jürgen Hingsen (102 kg) and Rudolf Zigert (105 kg).

You can now publish bodyweight records for 100 kg category of the ten decathlon events. All these five full career lists you find in section of "Decathletes".

If you're done, please send results to me via e-mail and I will publish it in Decathlon 2000.

@ Moritz Cleve

Because RSS-feed allows you to easily stay informed by retrieving the latest content from the site, we will add this popular function surely.
@ Barkasz Roland

Good idea! Please open the new forum topic called "Specific nutrition for decathletes" in subforum of Coaching and Training. Then I will invite all known world class decathletes here to share own sample's...
@ gcsixty6

If we talk about veterans, I have no database for them. If you wish you could collect all needful data from internet and we may build-up the new veteran section together.

Also thank you for other suggestions.
Posted: Apr 15, 2010
No worries Janek.

As far as it concerns the Veteran World a good entry point is the WMA (World Athletics Association) site

http://www.world-masters-athletics.org/index.php

and the EVAA (European Association)

http://www.evaa.ch/results.html

and the results of the Champs in there.

I don't know if you know the Veteran world, but in Multi-events, results, from the IAAF table, are adjusted with a WMA table of coefficients for age groups. That's what you see as results.

Veteran championships started in the late 70ies so that there are not so many years of results.

As for the results by National federations, that is a bit more difficult although the good point is that they usually don't organise more than 1 or 2 Decathlon for season. But I don't know if you want to get into that detail.

Maybe you should also upload, even if it is available on the IAAF site, the IAAF conversion table, just to make this Decathlon portal more complete. It would also be nice to have a score builder (runtime converter of performance in scores) but that takes some time to build and I got the feeling you guys built this site as a passionate hobby, so don't bother if you time is a limited resources for you.

Anyway a huge well-done again, because you've built a very nice site.

Cheers

Posted: Apr 16, 2010
@ gcsixty6

Thank you for good suggestions. I will think about your proposal.
Posted: Apr 19, 2010
To say that Decathlon 2000 fantastic means "Eulen nach Athen tragen". I've found the translation "to carry coals to Newcastle". Everybody interested in multi event knows it!

Or: one cannot praise Janek enough

Suggestions:

- a little bit more about women's multi events (statistics, career files)

- as a statistic freak I'd enjoy "individual events top performances" (guys like Erki Nool (LJ, PV), Frank Busemann (110m HH), Christian Schenk (HJ) and so on would appear several times

- Something like "worst indvidual event with total score above 8000, ..., 8500, ..., 8800" ? (e.g. Busemann in Sydney 33.71 DT and 8351 points)

- for projections of major events: a reference/basis consisting of the average results of the past 'n' years? I did not found a good formula so far ...

- "Upload more videos" sounds very good

Cheers

Posted: July 31, 2010
What do you think about new column: Photo of the week!

We all can take and share own photos and we be able to choose 4 time on mounth - photo of the week.

All suggestions are welcome.

PHOTO OF THE WEEK -

Erki Nool congratulates the new European Champion Romain Barras.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php/?pid=344695&id=1...
Posted: July 31, 2010
i think this is a very good idea and this is a great pic to start the pic of the week theme!
Posted: Aug 03, 2010
great idea - though in weeks with no competitions or news there might be fewer photos to share..

personally i like this one that i took in Barcelona (though the quality is not as good

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=31332715&id=1453687329
Posted: Sep 18, 2010
New version of Decathlon 2000 is up and running.

Please look around and let me know in a couple of sentences what your first impressions were about the site. All feedback is greatly appreciated.

Janek
Posted: Sep 18, 2010
Time of waiting is over
Great site!
+ new look-and-feel
+ new versions of points calculators
+ cross refernece links (e.g. athletes-file --> championships/meetings --> athletes)
+ articles by years, countries

Will we get the photo gallery like on the old version?
IP: 84.153....
Posted: Sep 19, 2010
Yes, friends you all get the Decathlon 2000 photo gallery very soon and you get it more exciting than before.

1 2 
1-20 / 29
Your rights:
Viewing: allowed
Posting: denied (allowed for registered users only)