Training tips for young men

Latest post: Matthew Quine, May 10, 2011
Viewed 4549 times
Posted: Feb 20, 2010
I know 18 years old decathlete. The events that kill his score are the throws, the Javelin in particular. So, he would like any advice on what he should do to improve own strength. Is it good to build mass for the decathlon, or just keep the mass to a minimum and focus on fast twitch fibers? What kind off-season training plan would work best for him?
Posted: Feb 23, 2010
Young decathletes must improve mass at a gradual rate. Some of the increase in mass will be natural due to the maturation process but it should not be forced. Power development is the main focus.
Posted: Mar 01, 2010
I understand strength training exercises that are supervised and appropriated offer many bonuses to young decathletes?
Posted: Nov 08, 2010
The problem is not mass, but the athletes lack of technique. I spend my early years of training from 16-20 learning proper technique. I was as skinny as a rail, but could throw pretty good for a guy who was only about 165 pounds (134 discus, 42 shot, 180 javelin) in college.

A huge mistake to start thinking you need to spend hours in the weight room. I was surrounded by guys on the team at Auburn University who could bench, 480 pounds, but could not throw the shot put or discus 43 feet or even 125. Further, they fall in love with the weigh room and if half the hours there were spend on solid technique, they would have been great throwers.

It is ALL about technique, and has very little to do with strength, expecailly when you are 18.

Gary
http://www.youreonathletic.com
IP: 98.224.2...
Posted: Apr 20, 2011
I have a problem with high jump. I'm 18 years and 177cm height. My best is only 165 cm. What can I do to be better and jump higher.
IP: 95.49.2...
Posted: May 10, 2011
You might find some of the blog posts by Craig Pickering (elite British 100m athlete) helpful over at http://www.vincosport.com. He talks about his weights training, supplementation/nutrition and injuries in quite some depth.
IP: 92.40.2...

Your rights:
Viewing: allowed
Posting: denied (allowed for registered users only)