Your training structure suggestions

Latest post: wermouth, Feb 01, 2012
Viewed 3439 times
Posted: June 25, 2007
Hi there

I was thinking of making this kind of a thread for a long time now. I'm a Greek Decathlete who has a Personal best of 6100. Not much I know, but I'm optimistic I can get to 7000 since if I combine all my Decathlon records, i get to 6600-6700.

Let me tell you how I structure my Training in the week and then I would Love to hear your suggestions. Before doing that, I would like to let you know that I have read this websites guide as well, and I also would like to give you my Personal best at every event - so you would know what kind of Decathlete I am ^_^

11:40 - 6,86 - 11,52 - 1,85 - 528 // 16:32 - 37,50 - 3,70 - 40,0 - 4:38:00

Week training

MONDAY

Sprint (20-100m depending on the time table), Long Jump, Pleometrics, Shot Put

TUESDAY

Hurdles (fast hurdles - usually 1,00m and 8,50-8,70m in between), Discus, Weight Lifting

WENSDAY

Pole vault, Hight Jump (in Long jump and Pole I jump with my left leg, in Hight jump i jump with my right), Pleometrics, shot put, Gymnastics

THURSDAY

Javeling, 3-5 x 1000m (starting from 3:45 and moving down 5 secs till I manage to do 3 x 1000m at 3:15-3:20), Body work (crouches and etc)

FRIDAY

morning --Hurdles, Discus // evening -- Pole Vault, Pleometrics, Shot Put, Weight Lifting

SATURDAY

Javeling, High Jump, Pleometrics, 400m training (usually 4-6 x 300m starting from 48'' and dropping to 39 before Deca

I'm 1,78cm, 26 years old and I weight 72-75 Kg. I'm also a graduate of Physical Education University in Greece, so you can get into details with me - no problems ^_^

I want to improve my self, Decathlon is dying in Greece a little and I wanna make things deferent.
That is a pretty good structure! Maybe look at a 7 day cycle of Strength, Speed, Special Endurance, Strength, Speed, Special Endurance, Rest. Also structure your weeks of training about 3 weeks of hard training, 1 week easy (more skill/ event training)

Good Luck,

Dave
Me auti tin proponisi eisai etoimos gia 8000 vathmous agori mou.Sto panellinio giati den katevikes?

Hello Stanislav

I invite you to come to Holland.

I organize a meeting in Holland the 25 and 26 of August in my hometown Woerden.

There you can talk with a lot of athletes from 15 countries.

If you pay your flight-ticket, I will pay the hotel, food, transfer etc.

Greetings Tom from Holland

Posted: June 26, 2007
It not easy to generalize on decathlon training without knowing the athletes you are trying to help, but here are my immediate comments:

DEFINING THE PROBLEM:

Your program is too extensive and too demanding:

-hurdles 2 times a week

-plyometrics 4 times a week

-pole vault, highj ump and long jump 5 times a week

-weights 2 times a week

...and then we havent even started with the really important part of your training program: RUNNING.

SOLUTION:

You will not get better by practicing a discipline multiple times a week. The most important is that you get rest in between the most important sessions(speed-jumping). In my opinion its not possible, and certainly no point in "getting through" all the 10 disciplines in a week. Your goal should be to practise all 10 over a two week period. Then you have enough breathing space to recover and be ready to make good running(speed) sessions.

Your can practise the throws more often cos they are not so demanding.

Best of Luck

Trond

Posted: June 27, 2007
I agree with Trond You are trying to fit everything in six days.

That's pretty demanding and damaging.

Besides this is the reason that you couldn't participate in the national championship and everyone was asking about you....

See ya around
Posted: June 27, 2007
Thank you all for your replies, I really needed some feedback.

Dave Stewart, I'm following Matveev path and my training periodicity is 2 week 90% and 1 week 40%.

Tom van Veldhuizen, I would really really love to come, but I got some problems with my Passport thus making any travels not possible for the time being. If you are to make that event again next year, I will be there in a blink of an Eye

Karamousalis Konstantinos POU EISAI RE? Gradz on winning the Nationals Kosta! I did a stupid thing, went to too many competitions in 2 weeks and an old injury woke up and made me stay home. Missed you all Next year I'll come back smarter and hopefully stronger

Trond Hoiby Never thought of that to be honest! You just made my eyes open a little. Your suggestion will fit perfect with Matveev 2+1 periodicity. You think it is possible to write down a small example of thee two weeks? Of course I will adjust it to my capabilities

NIKOS :B Come to Komotini for a few beers ho ho ho. Nice job in Athenes, although I expected 6000+! Next year let's have a blast.
Posted: Aug 12, 2007
Hello Stanislav,

The Matveev model is considered to be the most effective training method among the coaches here in the USA. The so called supercompensation week (I can provide more info upon request), which is the 3rd week of a 4 week cycle contributes highly to the neuromuscular system recovery and rejuvination. Decathlon is a 99% neuromuscular-oriented event (basic breakdown of the events/scoring) so you are pounding your neuromuscular system hard; the use of the sumpercompensation week in a 2-1-1 cycles it is a MUST for the serious decathletes. Mike Conroy (olympic weightlifting coach) teaches that the back off week of the Matveev's model should be trained with loads below 70%. Nonetheless, decathlon training is so complex that the coach must use his coaching talent with proper scientific background to support his/her annual plan.

My perspective on the decathlon training supports the use of commonalities that 3 technical events have (PV-JT-Hurdles). If you follow that path you can see how easily those events will ''slot'' into the Matveev's model. The supercompensation week is CRITICAL and must be followed at the assigned intensities otherwise you will face some ''angly'' consequences on your neuromuscular system. Therefore, a metabolic to neuromuscular training loading ratio must be considered in a weekly decathlon training structure.

Here is a link to back up the supercompensation week that has been introduced to track and field from weightlifting: http://eteamz.active.com/idahoweightlifting/files/...

Thank you,

Petros Kyprianou

Combined events coach

Boise State University, USA
Posted: Feb 01, 2012
Monday: Sprint, long jump, shot power throws, lower body weights
Tuesday: Pole vault, tempo 20x100m 70% of max multi throws, walking hurdles, upper body weights
Wednesday: Discus, hurdles, high jump power throws, lower body weights
Thursday: Javelin, Pole vault, tempo 20x100 multi throws walking hurdles, upper body weights
Friday: weaker throwing event, speed endurance, lowers body weights
Saturday: 30min run, swimming
Sunday: off
IP: 93.97.7...

Your rights:
Viewing: allowed
Posting: denied (allowed for registered users only)